ACCIONA Energía’s projects strive for a positive impact on the planet, decarbonisation-based business models, conservation of the ecosystems and the circular use of resources
KEY MILESTONES 2021
- Reduction of GHG emissions compared to the base year 2017 by 71% (scopes 1 and 2) in line with the science-based target, but scope 3 emissions increased by 6%.
- 100% CAPEX aligned with sustainable activities according to the European taxonomy.
- Voluntary planting of 74,947 trees.
- Recovery of 96.5% non-hazardous waste.
- Approval of a new circular economy policy.
MAIN CHALLENGES 2022
- Reducing GHG emissions in line with the SBT target 2030 of 1.5°C reduction and offset GHG emissions in its direct operations.
- Investing at least 95% of the CAPEX in sustainable activities according to the European taxonomy.
- Voluntary planting of 117,500 trees.
- Reducing the amount of waste sent to landfill in line with the 2025 target of reducing it by half.
- Increasing the percentage of renewable resources in line with the 2025 target to double the consumption of recycled materials.
- Reducing the use of surface water, groundwater, and municipal water in water-stressed areas by 11% compared to 2020.
EVOLUTION OF THE MAIN ENVIRONMENTAL INDICATORS
|Environmental||FY 2021||FY 2022||Var|
|CAPEX aligned with low-carbon taxonomy (%)||100%||100%||-|
|Renewable production (GWh)||24,541||24,075||1.9 %|
|Emissions avoided (millions of tonnes of CO2)||13.4||13.2||1.5 %|
|Scope 1 & 2 emissions generated (thousands of tonnes of CO2)||14.3||25.6||-44.1 %|
|Non-hazardous waste to landfill (thousand tonnes)||1.2||2.34||-49.0 %|
|Recovered waste||97 %||93 %||+4.0 pp|
|Water used (hm3)||0.95||0.95||-|
|Trees planted to offset emissions||74,947||n.a.||n.a.|
INTEGRATED ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT
Since any industrial activity involves a potential impact on the environment, the company adheres to the precautionary principle, especially when it comes to managing environmental, climate and water risks in an integral way, reducing and offsetting emissions, promoting the circular economy, and preserving biodiversity.ACCIONA Energía has qualified staff in each of the functional, hierarchical, and geographical areas. This means that top quality and experience can always be employed in pursuing the company’s business in compliance with the strictest environmental standards.